- created in 1991 (University of Minnesota) because scientists were fed up with FTP.
- still relevant today: fast loading times, low hardware requirements, stateless = no commercial endeavors
- hierarchical structure: files and folders and that's all
Debug with curl
0Does this gopher menu look correct? /gopher/proxy gopher.floodgap.com 70 1Getting started with gopher, software, more /gopher gopher.floodgap.com 70
Each line is tab-separated
|0||First character = service type (0: file, 1: directory, i: menu info)|
|/gopher/proxy/||selector string (pathname)|
- search servers / dynamical generation do exist ofc: a search server returns a directory listing matching the keywords
- flask-gopher (has session mechanisms - ex: savegame for zork)
gopher+ download files? utf8 ? ansi escape characters? ansi art? reference the same file at multiple locations ?